19-23 Wells Street comprises of 28,095sqft (GIA) over eight levels. The office building designed by Sir Albert Richardson and Claude Gill is Grade II Listed, originally commissioned by the Sanderson company and completed by 1931. It was named Margaret’s House and awarded the RIBA Building of the Year 1931, the medal for which remains in the carriage passageway. The building’s main occupier throughout the mid-1900s was Columbia Pictures, where their first London HQ included a cinema in the first basement and a fireproof reel store to the sub-basement.
A modern space
The aim was to create a modern office enriched by Art Deco detailing, playing between the old and the new whilst leaving functionality uncompromised. A characterful and fresh material palette was selected, working with the building and the branding. Careful refurbishment was made to all the historic fabric including rectifying WW2 hot damage to the glazed brick exterior. Honest bare historic staircases lead to open floor plates with exposed services and Crittal style office glazing, clearly distinguishing new from old.