One Poland Street was originally developed in 1902 for the Albion Motor Car Company as offices, working garages and warehousing. We were appointed by M&G to lead a major refurbishment. Our design involved the demolition and rebuilding of the rear of the building, with the addition of a fourth floor. The extension is unseen from Poland Street where the original façade is retained, maintaining the existing streetscape. To the rear, light wells were filled in and terraces formed, creating 2,508 sqm of new, high-quality office space. Various elements of the building’s industrial past, such as the large steel fire doors, have been reclaimed and reused, and under-floor cooling allows the existing steel structure to be fully exposed.